Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Nicholas is 1 year old!

and currently screaming in his crib because he doesn't want to nap :)










As you can see, taking pictures is easy once the baby is on the move :)

Likes: Mama Mama Mama
Food
Walking
Beating up on Dexter (but in a loving way?)
Being walked in the stroller, going outside


Dislikes:
Diaper changes
Being taken out of the bath

Noteable:

He has been walking on his own on and off for the past few weeks. He will still crawl, but gets up and goes on his own whenever he feels like it and is doing pretty well - looking slightly drunken at times but getting progressively more and more steady.

Forgot to mention this earlier, but for about a month now he's been on strictly table food - no more purees (except I do puree fresh apples and pears and mix them with oatmeal for breakfast). He's not a big fan of fruit and that's been the easiest way for me to get him to eat some. I think it's a texture thing. I am happy that he likes veggies though and have pretty much tried as many as I can find and figure out how to prepare: Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, wax beans, edamame, squashes, zucchini...I recently bought brussels sprouts and we'll see how that goes! He is not a fan of carrots which is fine by me.

We are incredibly lucky to have a happy, smiley, laughing boy. He has been sick rarely which I find impressive since he is in day care full time. He got the stomach bug which he promptly passed on to me, but his was only mild as he was on augmentin for his first (and only) severe ear infection. I would much rather take the brunt of the stomach bug as opposed to his little tummy going through it.

This past Thursday we were out to dinner and not one but two couples stopped us as we were leaving to let us know how much fun they had watching Nicholas play with a napkin and laugh while we ate dinner. I'm so glad that at this point we can bring him out to dinner and for the most part he is happy - I've heard that changes by age 2 so I'm savoring it while we can.

Parents always talk about the first year going by so fast. While I can't believe he's one "already", I don't think it went fast. My life has changed for the better, and I make sure to savor every single moment because before I know it I'll blink and he'll be 20. We spent the other night doing circles around the house while Nick "choo choo'd" like a train and Nicholas laughed maniacally. It was the best. I told Nick to take a mental snapshot and remember this moment. It's amazing what makes you happy once you have a child. You realize how many things just don't matter anymore, like a job that you're unhappy with or friendships that have withered away because people don't care enough to put the effort in. My effort goes into my marriage, my child, and everything else comes after that. We are lucky to have a supportive family and a few close friends that genuinely care, and that's all we need.

Since I am a dope and can't figure out how to turn photos into a slide show, here are my favorite pictures of the last year, starting in the hospital and through his 11th month :)



















































We love you baby boy!

xoxo

















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday baby! What a year :) I've enjoyed watching him grow and am happy I live so close and just pop in whenever I want. I love you sweet baby!

Noelle said...

I cannot wait to come and visit :)

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Rudy Thomas Dristiliaris 6/9/2018

Hi friends! Back in June Nick and I looked at one another and we knew that it was time to bring another dog into the home. The pain of De...