Monday July 18th
I buy a pregnancy test at Target, and glance at the prenatal vitamins (just in case).
Get to work, throw my stuff down on my desk and run to the bathroom to take the test. I repeatedly flush the toilet while opening the package, so “no one gets suspicious” (because a constantly flushing toilet isn’t suspicious at all). I take the test, and it is the longest few minutes of my life. I glance, look away, glance, look away... and then see “pregnant” and say holy s***! I start to cry (a good cry), then compose myself to call Nick. I leave the “communal” bathroom and head to a one stall bathroom in another part of our building.
For the first time in I can’t remember how long, he ANSWERS THE PHONE! I tell him…”wow, it feels a lot different than I thought it would…in a good way.” I tell him. He tells me- he can’t remember the last time he was this happy, probably on our wedding day. He says he better get to work now as he has a child to support. I tell him I’ll take the second test just to be sure. As expected, it is also positive.
I find myself constantly touching my yet to exist “belly”. I make an appointment for my first doctor’s visit, which will take place on August 8th (too far, too far!!) It’s impossible not to tell anyone. I can’t contain it! I want to tell my parents in person so we are waiting until the end of August. How I’m going to do that, I don’t know. But, I HAVE to see the looks on their faces when they learn their little girl is going to have a little girl or boy.
Nick and I joke, on Sunday we pre-bowled and I was terrible, well, even worse than normal. We blame it on the baby, and say I will be terrible for the rest of the season. I say to him “can you get me some water, the baby is thirsty.” He laughs and happily gets it for me. He puts away the dishes saying “I shouldn’t be lifting anything heavy.” I swear Dexter is sniffing my belly, knowing something is up. The cats, of course, could care less. As long as they have food in their bowls, they know no different.
I dream up colors and ideas for the baby’s room, and it’s barely been a day. Excited, ecstatic, thrilled beyond belief. Can’t believe there’s going to be a little Nick/Crystal running around in the future. Already started another savings account entitled "Baby Drista." Nope..I'm not a planner at all.
I have also peed no less than 40 times today.
Thursday July 21st
Pick up my bridesmaid dress today. It is too tight. I am having a meltdown. I haven’t told Brooke, because she might have a meltdown too. I have calls/emails into a few tailors to see what can be done. I suppose at least I have an excuse for getting “fatter”.
I’ve been eating really healthy for quite some time now, but that was an epic fail today. If it’s not good for you, I ate it. Tootsie Roll Pop(s), Pirates Booty, cookies…cake and ice cream shortly. I haven’t eaten any “real meals”, and after the dress fiasco, I have negative zero appetite.
…Later that day.
I tell Brooke, I think she would have cried if we weren’t at work. No meltdowns at all. She said she didn’t care about the dress, that she was so happy for me. She said we will figure it out. If we have to pull the crazy bride and pregnant lady act, we will. This is one of the many reasons I love her.
Nick and I go to the 99 for dinner. I get salmon. Order a virgin strawberry margarita – it is DELICIOUS! I don’t even miss the alcohol (not a big tequila fan) I actually make Nick taste it to make sure there is no alcohol in it, because it’s tangy. He says there’s no alcohol and it’s just the mix. There is a guy with the most incredible mullet I’ve ever seen. Bummed I left my phone at home as it needed to charge. Otherwise I would have Instagram’d that action.
I go online when we get home and order two copies of “101 Ways to Spoil Your Grandchild” I will wrap these up and give one to my mom and one to my dad as my surprise way to tell them.
Friday July 22nd
Wake up super early. I get up and stretch (Basha and Dexter stretch with me). Today is jeans day at work. I have a pair that fit me nicely, but maybe not for long. It’s ok, I’ve heard pregnancy jeans are super comfortable.
Brooke comes over this A.M. to see me, thought she might cry. Very sweet, she says hi to the baby. I tell her one of the cutest things so far is that I downloaded an app (yeah I know…) and I guesstimated when I may have gotten pregnant, and it says my baby is now the size of a “sweet pea”. Seriously.
Wednesday July 27th
Thank you thank you thank Facebook. I posted a status asking for a tailor and our good family friend Stacey came through – I called the woman today and she said it would be no problem to do the dress, and she could have it done overnight. We’re going to get together 10 days before the wedding and she will take care of it. Hear that? It’s the sound of my GIGANTIC sigh of relief.
Bowling tonight. I am sure I will be wretched.
Friday July 29th
Talked to my dad last night. Something about him lately is just “off”. I can’t place it. He has been hanging out with some people that he has met in his program. I think it’s good for him, but maybe not good for him too. I don’t know how else to explain. They found another polyp in his throat. It looks like nothing major, they are going to monitor it. The doc blames exposure to Agent Orange.
Nick and I have been fighting a lot about nothing lately. And I mean absolutely nothing. I told him the sooner he realizes he is wrong about everything for the next 8 months or so, the better off he will be. Even if I know I’m wrong, I am still not admitting it. My first irrational pregnant lady comment? I think so.
I haven’t had much interest in food. I’ve been eating a little, and trying to be healthy, but the junior mints I ate for lunch the other day were WELL worth it. I went back to eating yogurt because I really don’t get any calcium (I drink almond milk in my protein shakes but have switched to soy milk). I’m taking a prenatal and eating cheese as well. I’m anxious to see the doctor to talk about my diet to see what I could be doing better (other than not eating Junior Mints).
Monday August 1st
I would really like to know how far along I am, since it’s kind of weirding me out that I feel so normal. I did get sick yesterday from popcorn I had at the movie theater, but I think it just didn’t agree with me. Late Thursday night late we’re heading to NY because my brother and Joe are getting married on Friday. Erik & Joe are getting married on August 5th, their 21 year anniversary. I cannot wait. No words can express how happy I am for my brother, and I have loved Joe like a brother for as long as I can remember (they have been together since I was 10 years old). Unfortunately we have to leave after dinner and head back to MA, as Brooke’s bachelorette party is Saturday in Maine. I’ll then be in Maine for the night and come home Sunday and quietly slip into a coma of sleep.
Wednesday August 3rd
Company outing today! We’re taking a boat trip around Boston. I’m really looking forward to it. I have felt pretty good, my jeans feel a tiny bit snug, but I’m happy I could still squeeze into them at least one last time. We also have bowling tonight so it’s going to be a LONG day.
Saturday August 6th
Brooke's bachelorette. Considering I couldn't drink, I'm surprised I had so much fun. It was a great time - every time the girls did a shot they toasted the baby ;)
Monday August 8th
Had my first doc appointment today, was informed my uterus is growing nicely (it made me giggle). Nick came with me and was nervous the whole time, even though he just had to sit there. I also had blood work done, one of my least favorite things. I think they took about three vials. ULTRASOUND TOMORROW!!!
Tuesday August 9th
Happy Birthday to my nephew Riley and my brother’s girlfriend Diane!
Had my first ultrasound today. It appears that I am about 8 weeks and 1 day. There were a lot of remnants showing near my ovary of where the egg came from. That should dissolve (resolve?) but they will probably keep a close eye on this to be sure, because sometimes it can grow with the baby. I’m not really sure what that means, but the ultrasound technician was not concerned so I’m not going to worry about it unless I have to. She said there was a chance it could have been twins. (oh boy). I got a little emotional when they pointed out where the baby was, and so did Nick. It was so good to have him there. It’s all beginning to feel so real now. I’m going to make copies of the image and put one inside each book for my parents.
I went to the gym after work and then up to the mall to find a “smoother” for under my bridesmaid dress for Brooke’s wedding. My first purchase at Motherhood Maternity! Ha! The woman was very nice which is good, since I’m sure I’ll be seeing a lot of her in the future.
While walking around the mall I swear I smiled and got emotional at every little baby that I saw. Woohoo hormones!
Monday August 15th
Last night I made lasagna and needed more sauce. I told Nick any brand was fine- he ran out to Market Basket and came back and hands me the jar saying “I got you Prego.” Ha! We had a wedding on Saturday (Steve & Stacy) and I wore a floor length navy blue maternity dress. I think it’s funny when people get pregnant how they worry about gaining weight or having to wear maternity clothes. I could honestly care less. I’m hoping to not gain an obscene amount, but as long as I’m healthy, I don’t care. It’s not about me anymore.
Wednesday August 17th
The hardest thing so far? Last night I made brownies and couldn’t lick the batter. It was almost impossible not to.
I got my bridesmaid dress back and it fits perfectly. Phew! So very happy. Now to just get this wedding over with! (Love you Brooke).
Weekend of August 19th-21st
Brooke and John's wedding was amazing. We were constantly on the go so I just ignored the fact that I didn't feel well. I was so glad to be there for Brooke and to be a part of her and John's big day! xoxo
Wednesday August 24th
Last night of bowling - I hope I do well but will be glad when it's over. I've set up for a family dinner on Saturday to tell my parents and the rest of my family...the anticipation is killing me!
Monday August 29th
So, I bit the bullet and weighed myself this morning. I have lost a pound! Clearly not drinking has it's rewards. I was pretty shocked, although for the most part my clothes still fit and I don't feel as though I look much bigger, there's just a bit of "roundess" to my lower abdomen. As you can see from my other posts, we weren't able to get to NY this weekend because of the Hurricane. Labor Day weekend can't come fast enough!
Tuesday August 30th
I watched the MTV movie awards from Sunday night and got all teary when Beyonce whipped out her baby belly. Maybe I should get on my brother's table and whip out my belly as a way to tell my parents? Nah..they wouldn't get it.
Wednesday August 31st
We went to dinner with our friends Dan & Katy tonight. Katy has 6 weeks left to go in her pregnancy and looks amazing. We planned on telling them since it's so close to 3 months. Nick looked at me a few times and nodded his head but it just didn't feel right. I felt like the dinner should be about Dan & Katy and their baby to be. There's plenty of time for it to be about me (oh and the baby too...) in the coming months.
Posts to follow about telling family and friends..I figured this particular blog was long enough.
Thank you for taking the time to read this - I feel badly we couldn't tell more of you in person, but as you all know, we know a few people ;)
xoxo
5 comments:
so cute. Just fyi, motherhood maternity can run to the frumpy mama look but occasionally they have really cute stuff. Other favorites of mine are H&M mama and Gap Maternity. If you find a pair of maternity jeans you like buy at least three pairs. Oh and expect to have to buy at least two sets..one for the early belly and one for third tri-mester belly.
Congrats again.
Thanks Becky - not sure of any H&M Mama near me (unless it's available online - I haven't checked). And Gap Maternity is a bit pricey for me - I checked them out and I can't fathom spending $70 on jeans I'm not going to wear for very long. I don't like to spend more than $30 on normal jeans, and I only own one pair of those :) There is one H&M in about that I know of where I live and I'm not sure that they have maternity clothes. A co-worker recommended a great consignment shop in NH that I'm going to check out as soon as I need it. :)
Congrats Crystal!! So excited for you and Nick (and Dexter, too). I saw Becky's post, and I second the H&M Mama comment. There's a small maternity section in the Rockingham Mall H&M. I think that Macy's also has a Motherhood Maternity section with some of the more fashionable lines.
Let me know if you need anything or have questions about all things pregnancy :)
Oh yea, Target has good staple maternity clothes too!
Thanks Lauren! The dress I wore to the wedding in mid-August was actually from Target and I loved it - super comfy and plenty of space in the front for when I need it :) I was in Salem today but after I left a store I realized I left a candle burning at home...apparently I have a bit of prego brain already!
Post a Comment